Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What's on my needles: Scarf edition

 This is my current "purse project"--something compact and simple I can work on in waiting rooms, on lunch breaks, and sometimes, when I'm very lucky, on the Metro.

The pattern is "Trillian" by the incomparable Martina Behm, and it's both simple and quite clever. Every two-row repeat includes one decrease and two increases, which creates a long asymmetrical triangle designed to use exactly as much yarn as you happen to have. The eyelet edging is worked at the same time as the body of the scarf, and the whole thing uses stitches simple enough even for a beginner like me.

The yarn is Berocco Comfort Sock, a surprisingly squishy nylon/acrylic blend. (I know, I can hear you animal-fiber folks cringing, but it's really rather nice--feels cottony, but with more give.) It came to me by way of Quo Vadis Handspun on Etsy, where it was hand-dyed in those brilliant shades of gray and red. I'm normally wary of variegated yarns, but with only two colors I thought this might be a safe bet. So far, I like it; the colors are pooling in interesting ways and it makes an otherwise rather mindless stitch a little more fun to watch develop.

I posted two pictures to show how it's developing (and don't worry, the car was parked in photo #2). I've only used about half my yarn, so I've got a ways to go yet, but with no particular hurry, I'm enjoying the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment